On the heels of a post about why I sew, here is a near miss. Sometimes the theory of what should work doesn’t translate into reality. At least I’m not thrilled with this make.
You may recognize the top of this dress from a post about embellishing.
My myopia strikes again! The design doesn’t show up from a distance unless I’m in perfect lighting. Also, I think that the stitching technique stretched out the top of the dress. See the vertical wrinkles near the neckline? I could take it in because I put in shoulder princess seams (all bow to shoulder princess seams and how they allow for adjustments!). However, I don’t know if it’s worth the effort.
I think this color is ok on me, but it’s not great. I think it probably should be darker, like the colors of the shadows. Or something. (I’m wondering if I should be wearing warmer colors although I’ve always worn cooler colors. See my color analysis “game” on Instagram.) Also, if I dyed the dress the darker color, the fabric would then completely match the color of the stitching/embroidery. The stitching detail would disappear.
On a positive note, I think the overall shape of the dress is good! It’s comfortable. The neckline is great. The length looks a bit long in the photos, but that could just be my photo skills because it hits above my knee in the mirror. I learned a lot from making this dress!
Overall, it looks like the negatives beat out the positives, so I think this one is off to Goodwill.